54 replies to this topic
Kanki Kanki
  • Donors
  • 4587 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

Posted Image

Korea’s strongest company’s (who gave birth to DBSK) Japan Strategy
K-POP special
“Why are Korean artists so powerful now?” S.M Entertainment’s Representative Kim Youngmin’s interview about SNSD

(Note: The following is SNSD’s excerpt)

During the first half of this year, the K-POP boom really started to rise suddenly. Girl groups from every record company started to announce their major debuts one after the other. From within the entertainment industry things like “Popular Girl Group OO from XX record company will debut” were said and you could read various rumors popping up here and there when reading K-POP related magazines.

Among those things like, “It seems we’ll finally be able to meet “the girls” at performances,” were increasingly said. “The girls” meaning SNSD. They’re a 9 member girl group and are considered national “Super Stars” in Korea. Universal Music’s NAYUTAWAVE RECORDS announced their debut for September and before that they will be having a Showcase concert in Tokyo in August. They have excellent singing abilities, model-like bodies, and with their large number they can make the best use choreography.

These girls have been training since they were kids. The people who produce the music and manage them also pushed BoA and DBSK to stardom in Japan, it is Korea’s greatest entertainment production company S.M Entertainment. It is not an exaggeration to say that the history of the idol boom in Korea grew with this company. In the 90s they created the “H.O.T” and “Shinhwa” who were leaders in the boy idol group boom. Other companies then followed their lead and shook it up a bit creating fierce competition. So, SNSD was created with 9 people, a female idol group with so many people had never been created in Korea before, until SNSD’s debut in 2007. By differentiating themselves from “Lip-Syncing Idols” they gained popularity, and other companies also began concentrating on their girl groups immediately. In 2009, The big boom of girls occurred.

In Japan, BoA was brought up to be a platinum artist together with AVEX, and DBSK also became a big hit. And finally SNSD is on their way to Japan. We plan on asking S.M Entertainment (AKA S.M.E)’s Korean Corporate CEO and also the Japan Corporate president Kim Youngmin the marketing secrets of becoming Korea’s star to Asia’s Star.

After entering S.M.E about 12 years ago I have been responsible for planning the strategies for BoA and DBSK’s Japan debuts. And this time it's my pleasure to have a chance to introduce a new group, SNSD, to Japanese people. They’re new in various ways so I thought we had to challenge that, so in August SNSD will have a Premium Showcase Concert at Ariake. Already the limited edition DVD with the tickets inside is currently sold out. But, I’m not surprised. As SNSD is already popular now, it was assumed that a venue of this capacity would be filled.

(Omitted BoA & DBSK part)

And this time our 3rd stars to be made from this company are SNSD and before they even fly out of Korea they will have the best brand power in Asia supporting them. When they go from 9 individuals to 9 as one, they will have overwhelming power. I think it’s the brand of SNSD. This time, A brand that has already been established in Asia is now going to Japan. Well, we hadn’t decided how to commence the landing in Japan yet, but I wanted to make it something large scale, so this time we’re going with a Showcase live.

I am looking into 2 changes that happened in 2010. First, attitudes have changed. Japan’s consumers’ uncomfortableness in regards to other Asian products has faded and they’re naturally starting to accept other products. Second, there has been a change in the environment. The internet is used widely in Japan now. People are able to come across artists’ activities in places like Korea, China, and Southeast Asia and they’re able to keep up with them in almost real-time.

The two overlap, SNSD who debuted in 2007 has been around for a little less than 3 years and are already known throughout Far East Asia due to their brand power. Therefore, we can use a different marketing strategy rather than coming out as a complete rookie.

SNSD New Development

Previously BoA and DBSK learned Japanese and their Japan activities were at least 6 months out of an entire year. First they created their foundation in Japan and after that they were finally able to debut. However, we’re exploring new development methods for SNSD.

However, being able to speak the local language as much as possible is a method we’ve used to promote our past artists. SNSD already includes a member who can speak in proficient Japanese. English can also be spoken because there are 3 members from the United States. There is also a member who is skilled in Chinese.

(Omitted Lee Sooman’s interview on BoA and DBSK’s debut)

Next, Lee Sooman’s reason for debuting SNSD in 2007 even though Korea was going through tough economic times. “Socially, I think that Korea’s idol market was revived by DBSK during a very gloomy time. Well, next my desire was to fill an empty space in society. You could say Japan was going through the same thing, during severe economic times men from their teens to their 30s were feeling low-spirited. In Korea, everyone was requesting an artist that could get them energetic. Therefore, SNSD, with a little bit of a retro sound, was born to heal peoples’ spirits. In Korea, this aim was very successful.

(S.M.E. Rookie & Dance Lesson part was omitted)

10 years ago, at a very early stage in the industry, our company and AVEX cooperated with Japan-Korea activities. We were thankful to AVEX whom was our strongest partner and welcomed us and made us very reassured while coming into Japan’s huge market for the first time. Thanks to them, we were able to have very big results from BoA to DBSK.

And now, the Japanese can go straight to Korea through things like satellite TV. This is also an era of different channels as well as the internet, where they can connect directly with Korea. Hereafter, it will surely be part 2 of Japan-Korea (partnership) and the beginning of new era in Asia. This time we will be partnering with Universal who sent us an offer last year in regards to SNSD’s Japan debut.

Talking about the business direction which our company is going to pursue from now on, first and foremost we want to provide good music. On the other hand, for example, one direction is to give the “SNSD” brand a new value and invent something new. (Note: First good music and second expand business with SNSD's big-name brand/image.) There’s a large possibility that SNSD will collaborate with a business like Korea’s apparel brand “SPAO”. SNSD may also do some Japanese CMs. (Note: A CM is the same as a CF, they’re commercials.) Thus, our company’s frame of business wants to expand from here on out in more than just music.”

As a side note: SNSD will be on the front cover of October’s issue of Nikkei Entertainment Magazine and there will also be an interview!

Translated by: Kanki@Soshified.com
Source: Nikkei Entertainment Magazine & Graphy777 @ Twitter for Graphics

Formspring - Ask me a Question! || Twitter || Red Signature by Ruth

Posted Image Posted Image

MaiMai! MaiMai!
  • Donors
  • 1192 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

'heal people's spirits' . Yup they did that, and I'm glad DBSK and BoA are in this article as well, since I'm a Cass/SONE/SM lover xD. <3 Thanks for the article, it was extremely interesting. I can't wait to see the girls on shows so I can hear their Japanese LOL. wonder if it got any better ^^

JoSHY_boi JoSHY_boi
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

no matter what happens the girls will be the best for me!!
now i want to learn japanese lol..
the SONES will always be there for SNSD!!
GOOD LUCK ON JAPAN SoNyuhShiDae!!
WeLOVE YOU!!
Fanytastic~~~~Fanyfied

Posted Image

~NeiLFanY/TiffaNeiL~

I l0v3 SNSD I l0v3 SNSD
  • Donors
  • 1192 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Previously BoA and DBSK learned Japanese and their Japan activities were at least 6 months out of an entire year. First they created their foundation in Japan and after that they were finally able to debut. However, we’re exploring new development methods for SNSD.

exploring new development methods. I hope Universal and SM know what they're doing. ;)

As a side note: SNSD will be on the front cover of October’s issue of Nikkei Entertainment Magazine and there will also be an interview!

just one question: is the Nikkei Magazine popular in Japan? :D can't wait to see what big surprise the girls will have for us in Japan :) SNSD ftw!!!!
Thanks for the article Nikky ^^

35244r7.jpg

cr; teepani@soshified(Fany gif),me@soshified

laugHxx laugHxx
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

WOOT WOOT! SNSD JJANG!
i will support you guys where ever you are
my love will never change.
but wait wait three ppl from the U.S.?
Fany, Sica, and...Sunny?
correct?

iHEARTu
SIGG BY ME; laugHxx@soshified.com
>>my SIGGS here<<

Kanki Kanki
  • Donors
  • 4587 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

but wait wait three ppl from the U.S.?
Fany, Sica, and...Sunny?
correct?

That was how I took it unless the original author typo'd and meant to put 2 lol~

Formspring - Ask me a Question! || Twitter || Red Signature by Ruth

Posted Image Posted Image

TK TK
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1327 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

lol they are having a concert in japan! how come i didnt hear of this T-T i would've bought tickets since i would be going there this summer T-T darnit
but lol i wonder how good the girls japanese is.... lol its going to put alot of pressure onto sooyoung ^^ hahahaha and isn't 2 memebers that are fluent in english >< hehehhehe unless they include seo hahhah oh well thnx btw :thumbup:

"Let's do a kiss of love." - Yuri

Posted Image

----------------------____________매일매일 써니데이...______________----------------------
we're nothing without 9

TAEYEON-C TAEYEON-C
  • Donors
  • 1727 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Whoa, new insights!

When they go from 9 individuals to 9 as one, they will have overwhelming power. I think it’s the brand of SNSD.

Word! 9 as one. This has got to be the best branding ever, lol.
I'm actually glad that they gave SNSD a large scale debut in Japan. Sold out, oh yes, they'll definitely do well.

Thanks for translating such a great read. ;)
Posted Image
You are the one that
I envisioned in my dreams

GO!Lux GO!Lux
  • Donors
  • 1002 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

The medias are already comparing SNSD to BoA and DBSK even before their official debut in Japan: once again, I am quite sure they will have a lot of success.
I really can't wait for the interview in October's issue to be released! That will be their very first Japanese interview, right?
Very interesting article, thank you very much for the translation :)

Posted Image_Posted Image_Posted Image

dan4413jwfJUH dan4413jwfJUH
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1180 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

yess...so nice to know that their popularity is totally overwhelming and that they are the top idol group around...:D
Jes♥♥SicaPosted ImagePosted ImageThe Soshi Theory- So Nyuh Shi Dae+Sone=9+1 <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Posted Image

Nunna Nunna
  • Rookies
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

English can also be spoken because there are 3 members from the United States

I thought there was only Tiffany & Jessica ? hmmm ~

U GO SNSD ! i think they r gonna swap those 48 j-girl groupes aside !!! YEAH ! let SNSD show them wut real girl groupe means!

오늘 하루 행복하길 ★

[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/4j9to2.jpg[/IMG]

InfiniteLoss InfiniteLoss
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1858 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Seriously...there are so many idols nowadays. SMEnt's a huge
company now even though it was only created recently. Regarding
the widespread use of the internet in japan, it would explain
why physical CD sales are decreasing as more people turn to
online downloads. I hope this means fewer groups will be heading
to japan for long periods of time for promotions. Hopefully the
idol craze doesn't end anytime soon because i wanna train my kid
to become an idol haha <3

beebeebobobo beebeebobobo
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

Yay!! Ilove reading news about snsd that comes from Japan. I hope they are successful and the company doesn't overwork them too much.
Oh! and good luck to Kara 4minute and BEG since they're also promoting in Japan. :thumbsup:

Edited by beebeebobobo, 04 August 2010 - 02:02 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

"If you’re still Girls’ Generation in the next lifetime, I will still be a SONE" -anon.

p00pie p00pie
  • Donors
  • 978 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

the limited DVD edition showcase ticket already sold out so we are expecting a full house for ariake stadium? WOW. This article is quite insightful, the person kept saying SNSD is a brand, which is true... an already established powerful brand in East Asia, I dare say South eas Asia, once they conquer Japan, whole of Asia kekeke...

9 individuals to become 9 as one... I like that :)
Posted Image

eliteseal eliteseal
  • Donors
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

I do hope SNSD will participate in at least 1 Music Station airing during their time in Japan.Its one of the longest running program dated back to 1980s.On a side note I felt its a shame that it is Universal Music that will be working with SNSD and not AVEX.Universal may be strong worldwide but in japan it is AVEX that has a strong foothold.Oh well i just hope their debut into japan will be a success and quickly come back to Korea for their next album cut.

minhnhat95 minhnhat95
  • Rookies
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

snsd is the best! Jjiang!
when will they debut somewhere that i won't have to read subs to understand? haha xD
hope the girls do well in japan!
good luckkk!

somedudey12 somedudey12
  • Donors
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

Haha reading this made me think a lot about S.M.E.
They have created a lot of the most awesome Korean artists
I'm glad that they helped out the girls with their training and watching over them and discovering them in the first place ^----^
Ahhhh this news article made me think a lot

icy112 icy112
  • Donors
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

Wahh SNSD is taking over :)!! Haha, I was also like o.o when I saw they said 3 members were from the US. 9 as 1 forerver! Will support them wherever they go :wub:.

Pretty interesting article, it's kinda strange to read the SM people talking about why they made SNSD... as if they needed a reason :P. They're just that awesome, our nine angels.

Thanks for the translation!!

Monya Meow Meow Monya Meow Meow
  • Donors
  • 2713 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

So credit should go to the SM Entertainment CEO for being such a good strategist and being able to plan out the company's future direction so successfully.
But it is true that the Japanese are becoming open to overseas artists, hence making it a little bit easier to enter their market.
A very good article read, thanks for translating.

9flvP.pngCIEJV.png

Cr. Sunyeonie

Jessica 4ever!!! Jessica 4ever!!!
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

heal ppl's spirits!!! yes!! they are very energetic...
excellent singing abilities, model-like bodies, and and best use of choreography!!! the definitely hav all those!!

SNSD FIGHTING~!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

credit: sayhellotothestars@soshified, TammyTheSunny@soshified,FrozenYentaf@soshified

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  cinderella@y... (01:34:00 AM) what is that bot doing zzz
@  cinderella@y... (04:52:29 PM) bot zzzzz
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:35 PM) bots*
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:31 PM) bot r crazy
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:26 PM) yeah
@  alice_ot12 (04:00:43 PM) i hate the ad spam
@  Keitaro88 (11:09:19 AM) >_> https://pbs.twimg.co...jpg&name=medium
@  kidrobot (09:44:59 PM) reeses eggs
@  bunnybelle (08:48:20 AM) <3