90 replies to this topic
timfox timfox
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

Repost from here. Sorry ><

Warning: pretty longggg read.

First off, I'm just a lowly kpop fan from the tiny island of Guam. Most people assume that we're an uncivilized bunch (goddamn you Destination Truth), but that really is far, far from the truth. We have cars, buildings, hell even an accredited college, but most importantly, we have the internet. With that, its opened our eyes to the rest of the world, with an emphasis on Korea. Since Guam is so close to Korea itself, we even get a considerable amount of tourists coming and going. Every once in a while celebrities are among those, and even though hotels or tourist agencies try their hardest to hide them, you really can't stop news like this due to the internet, and the fact that this island is so small that everyone knows each other.

In 2009, I had the pleasure of meeting Kara. A Korean friend of mine called me up one day and told me that she saw them doing a photoshoot at a tourist hotspot. I couldn't believe it--THE girl group that got me into kpop was actually here on island. I rounded up a bunch of my friends and we searched everywhere for them. Guam is VERY small (only 32 miles long and 4-12 miles wide) so there were only so many places they could go. Through our network of people, we found them at their hotel. This is embarrassing to admit, but I could not hold my excitement when I found them. It was so bad that the girls actually got scared and the managers had to surround them. All of my friends hated me for that. At that point they seemed unapproachable, but I redeemed myself though by going down to the pool area where they were having dinner and apologizing to them straight up. I asked them to take a picture with me, but the managers wouldnt allow it. I didn't go home empty-handed, though, as all 5 girls told me in unison "I'M SORRY Posted Image" That alone is forever burned in my mind.

Posted Image

Kara on Guam

Fast forward to 2011. SNSD is now my favorite girl group. My kpop friends and I have downloaded every live performance on youtube and even have lengthy discussions on how each of them differ (Tiffany winked at 2:34; Jessica smiled at 1:23; Taeyeon sounds so good singing 'tokyo seoul london new york'). One day at work, I get a call from my friend saying "TIM! SNSD IS ON ISLAND FOR A PHOTOSHOOOT. WE'RE ALL GONNA GO FIND THEM." WTF. My all time favorite girl group on island? And I'm stuck at work while my friends meet them? Hell no. At this point I start feigning stomach pains and taking frequent bathroom breaks. I tell my boss that I have massive diarrhea and that I can't focus at work. She lets me off early and I drive like a madman to meet up with my friends. I suddenly remember what happened with Kara and told myself to keep my composure if I found SNSD. I also remember that the managers probably wouldnt let me take any pictures, but they wouldnt refuse autographs right? The only thing I had in my car worth signing was my Alienware M11x laptop.

Posted Image

Did you see that wink at 3:03?

I met up with my friends in Tumon, the tourist hotspot of Guam. There we speculated all possible locations. The first place we checked was Pacific Islands Club, the hotel that Kara stayed at. We asked around but none of the workers saw SNSD. I then called a friend of mine who worked in another hotel and asked if she knew where they were staying. She didnt, but told me that she would ask around. A few minutes later she called back saying that they were staying at a hotel 30 minutes away from where we were. On Guam 30 minutes is a VERY long drive, but we toughed it out and drove all the way there. The hotel though was on a giant resort, so even if SNSD were there at the time we wouldnt know where to start. After half an hour of looking we went on to the next location: a night market.

We get there, and we see a bus full of asians. Our hopes start going up and we look all around. Tons of Koreans, but no SNSD It was already getting late in the night, and we were just about to give up. Just when we were about to go home, a friend calls us and says that he just met SNSD at Kmart.

Posted Image

..Kmart

We sprinted to our cars and broke god knows how many speed laws to get to this stupid store. We parked at Kmart and head toward the entrance. A couple of friends go inside, but I noticed this beautiful pale looking girl right next to a white van. Could it be? OMFG IT WAS.

JESSICA.

I walk up to her and ask, "Hi are you Jessica?"

"Yes I am Posted Image"

"I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm a huge fan. Can you sign my laptop for me?"

"Sure Posted Image"

My friends all gathered around her at this point. I gave her a white-out pen to sign my laptop with, but she couldn't get it to work. She wasn't squeezing it hard enough, but you don't exactly tell SNSD's Jessica to "squeeze harder." She then does something that just shoots her up to the top of my favorite list:

"Oh, its not working. Let me use my marker"

If it was me, I would have just said, "Oh well, it doesnt work sorry." But she was such an angel.

Posted Image

Success!

During this whole time, my friends were eyeing the van behind her. The sides were heavily tinted, but the windshield wasnt. Through there we saw Tiffany, Seohyun, Yuri, Hyoyeon, Sunny, and Sooyoung. While Jessica was signing all of our things, Yoona and Taeyeon ran past all of us to get into the van. No wonder Jessica was waiting outside.

One of my friends had absolutely no shame. Jessica was his favorite member and he couldnt help but say things like, "I love you--you're my inspiration." The best thing though was:

"You, me tonight, I dont know when or how, but it could happen. Just sayin'"

Too funny.

I know all this sounds super stalker-ish, but c'mon. SNSD was within a 20 mile radius of us--would you really do nothing about that? I know most of you on this forum would do something:) It's just so amazingly surreal meeting these girls since we've only ever seen them on our computers. They're a lot shorter than you would think though (I towered over Jessica. I swear, the manager looked like he was gonna tackle me as I was walking toward her).

That night, we blasted SNSD on our way home. We fulfilled a goal, and Jessica helped do it. She was so down to earth and approachable, and according to our friend that called us, the rest of the members were as well. I'm just saying, if you ever have the chance to meet them GO FOR IT. Don't scare them though! Seriously, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Fans would lineup for hours to meet these girls--we met them at a frickin kmart.

Posted Image

Me and my friends. I'm on the far right.

Posted Image

Spoils of war

Edited by timfox, 21 November 2012 - 03:04 AM.

SonicLimit SonicLimit
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

Wow, you guys are extremely lucky to see them. I would have never contained myself like you did, but I guess you guys had the experience before. :P Oh how I envy you guys right now... xD

Your friend was pretty ballsy to say stuff like that though. :P xD

amazingasianalex amazingasianalex
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

nice mang you must be really lucky to meet them~ wish i got to meet them in real life w.o waiting in like a big line or anything...jessica sounds like the most nicest person ever hope i get to meet them soon..
Posted Image

NanaBaka NanaBaka
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Wow you're very lucky, I wish I could meet them in real life.
lol that would be funny if you had a spazz attack XD!

Posted Image
YoonAddict. Fanytastic. Yurisistable. Taegang United. Sooyoungster. GorJess Spazzer. Sunshiners. Hyoyunnies. Seomate.
"We're as strong as steel because Sone's love makes SNSD stronger." -Yoona

Leoth Leoth
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

Wow, I would kill to have Jessica sign my laptop! She's so nice for signing all your things, even tho she must've been really tired from all her work.

sunsarang sunsarang
  • Rookies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Duuuuude!!

You lived my dream! You and your friends are so lucky!

I don't think I would have been as forward. I'd probably just watch from afar and cry (seriously).
Hopefully if ever presented with the opportunity I'll take it like you did.
Thanks for sharing! :)

*your friend is really funny.

tumblr_lo4xauRJCH1qi2tgro1_r1_250.jpg

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.

Happiness never decreases by being shared."

SoshiMarc SoshiMarc
  • Rookies
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

That's one advantage of living in a small island. Sooyoung, Taeyeon, and Yuri also visited my country, the Philipines, for a vacation with their own families this year. We weren't able to find them because they were too far away from our place and besides, the archipelago is composed 7, 107 islands!

I need:
No images.
No animated GIFs.
Just plain text.
That's how deep I express my love for SNSD.

timfox timfox
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

That's one advantage of living in a small island. Sooyoung, Taeyeon, and Yuri also visited my country, the Philipines, for a vacation with their own families this year. We weren't able to find them because they were too far away from our place and besides, the archipelago is composed 7, 107 islands!

we're all filipino too :)

sacred123 sacred123
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

First, I was like..sort of stalkerish.

But, what are you gonna do eh?

Glad you got the opportunity. Too bad no one wants to visit the frigid north of Canada, eh? xD

clements clements
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

you guys are sooooo lucky
ever find her at public place
she's a kind one to say
I admit it I'm jealous

Posted Image

Posted Image

MaxV3 MaxV3
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Wowww you guys meet 1 of the 9 angels....
Argggg, I also want it too
You guys really lucky >.<
Jealous percent up to 100%
Lol
Hope 1 day can meet at least 1 of them and get some autograph ^^
Posted Image

TheSupremeFortre TheSupremeFortre
  • Donors
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

I literally laughed when you said your friend met SNSD at Kmart. Only because here in the US Kmart is literally the last place you would wanna do your shopping..for me that is. But its nice to see you got to meet Jessica at Guam with some help from your friends. Now it even gives me more of a motivation to hopefully see them in person one day and talk to them..after college or when they come back to California at least. D:

Posted Image
"Stay hungry, stay Foolish"

Soshi Style Soshi Style
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

Wow, you met Jessica at Kmart. XD It's so great that you had that opportunity. Man, you were so lucky. I would probably freeze or something. XD :D Thank you for sharing this with us! :D

Posted Image

Sicasaur Sicasaur
  • Donors
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

You sir, have had an opportunity I would die to have. It's my dream to be able to take a picture/get an autograph with and from Jessica. Hell, I'd be joyful if I were to even meet her LOL. Someday... T_T..
Posted Image

ocgoodtimes ocgoodtimes
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Okay...so this story is going to make me change my attitude towards K-Mart. They were somewhere at the same level as Wal-Mart, but now they are a slight notch above. That was a really cool story and kudos to you for going through what you did to see them.

abbyabe abbyabe
  • Donors
  • 486 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

omg omg omg u guys r so lucky ~!! they didnt hv their managers with them?
omg i could die to get those signature,, even to see them with my own eyes haha =D
if only they'd come to my country in the near future

9b5_zps345772bf.png9b6_zpse73eefaa.png

우리 오래 오래 가자~! ♥

cr. sayhellotothestars

cheezelsoshi cheezelsoshi
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

u guys r so lucky!!! i wouldn't mind being a 'stalker' if they r near my place :) btw, how do u guys know they are there? or in philipines? or anywhere? how to tune my antenna to those info ? :)

ChoSica ChoSica
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:48 AM

dude that was a once in a lifetime dream-come-true experience and you guys were lucky to get a chance to meet them especially Sica and also got autographs??!! OMG O______________O

*jealous meter bar = 200%*
Gee Gee Gee Gee Baby Baby Baby~

ieezarpi ieezarpi
  • Donors
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:13 AM

wow, i didn't know that guam was just THAT small!!!! it's just a freakin' drive to get to the city from our house....wow..
and i am in PH which is freakin close to guam!!!! wahhhhh!!!!

dang, you guys are so lucky!!!
and when you said they are short...i guess i'm kinda relieved..what? i'm short too...lol...
or rather...you guys are humongous!! on the height area i mean. just saying! :)

but dang....how i wish i can talk to them too...just a simple handshake, or hug, or an autograph can sure send me to heaven...lol

and wah!!! you met kara!!!! dang!! i'm so jealous...i really am jealous.....:(

thanks for sharing this!!!

I1DvE.gif

니.

Chi_Soshi_Angel Chi_Soshi_Angel
  • Donors
  • 1319 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

That's amazing! And now your computer is worth like billion bucks! I mean an Alienware is already worth a lot (according to geek Boyfriend) but now it has Sica's sig on it! Congrats and don't ever let it out of your sight!

SNEs and SShi - Sharing ❤ne Heart
anim_16fc53be-bbf7-a924-c506-10159c68e59
"That's why we're SNSD. We make up for each other's weaknesses"
"You asked us about our teamwork, but really there is no secret. We just live like sisters."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  alice_ot12 (10:04:11 AM) what happened?
@  Keitaro88 (04:20:34 PM) hi :)
@  datlmhg (05:16:24 AM) good night
@  korniceman3000 (01:20:35 PM) (O.O) Singer Park Boram just died of cardiac arrest....https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/park-boram-k-pop-singer-songwriter-obituary-1235654493/
@  cinderella@y... (10:57:35 PM) finally someone stop the bot
@  CaptTJTaru (06:09:44 PM) its okay, it was a good run