Photo

[MINI] Mr. Mr.Track-by-track review of the mini album.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic
RyanE117 RyanE117
  • Donors
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Let me preface this by saying that I won't be reviewing the packaging of the album because I haven't received my copy in the mail yet. I will update this post to include a review of the packaging after it arrives.

It's that time again - SNSD has released a new mini album! After listening to it non stop in my car and on my iPod for more than a week, I've come up with my opinions for each of the tracks.

1. Mr. Mr (10/10)

"Mr. Mr." is a perfectly crafted piece of pop music. The saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. The Underdogs, who produced this song, took the typical pop-song formula (intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus x 2) and made it awesome. Each verse of the song is filled with great vocal performances by the girls and a simple-but-effective beat. Some have complained that this song is basically TTS + J, but I think that the way this song was crafted, the vocal heavyweights needed to carry the brunt of the song. That being said, the rest of the girls get their fair share of lines in the easier-sung parts. The chorus of this song is where it really shines. The girls sing a subtle harmony in the background during it, which makes me so happy. I expect it to be on repeat for the foreseeable future.

2. Goodbye (6/10)

"Goodbye" is SNSDs pop-rock song on the album. The song is driven by the bass line and the vocals of the girls, which really shine. Hyoyeon's line caught me completely off guard and is awesome. However, I just don't find the song all that interesting. It's not bad, just kind of bland.

3. Europa (4/10)

I think I would have liked this song a lot more if the verses and chorus were better. They sound really messy to me. I enjoy the beat, vocals, and bridge, but the rest of the song is just disappointing. It seems like more of an experimental song, but it fell flat with me.

4. Wait a Minute (7/10)

"Wait a Minute" is just plain old fun. The syncopated rhythm and the vocal harmonies please my ears. At the beginning of this song there's a weird chop-up of the girls' voices, but I like the way it sounds. The whole song is quirky, and I can dig it.

5. Back Hug (9/10)

For whatever reason, I really enjoy SNSD's smoother, lighter songs like "Mistake" and "Romantic Street." This song falls into that category. It's got an R&B feel to it with the finger-snaps in the background and slow tempo. It's like a happy Destiny's Child. The chorus is extremely catchy and I knew it was good from the first listen. The way the vocals rise and fall during the chorus is like honey to the ears.

6. Soul (6/10)

This song is a Korean version of the Chinese "Find Your Soul," which was used in a CF for a video game. I like the song OK, but it doesn't really stand out to me as amazing. It has some pretty cool guitar riffs in it though.

Overall: 7 out of 10

Other than a few bland songs, I liked this mini album. I think it's better than their past mini-albums as far as track quality is concerned, but I don't think it's their best release. The title track, however, is just as good as any of their past singles.

katiecSNSD katiecSNSD
  • Donors
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

I completely agree with your opinion on the title track! I've seen quite a few negative comments on it, but I absolutely love it. Wait a Minute is my other fave from this mini-album.

foreverwithyou.jpg

rydiafan rydiafan
  • Donors
  • 1121 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

To me Mr Mr the single is very week vocally ... the girls held back or it the way the song is suppose to be sung idk ... but it's some of the weakest vocals when compared to other dance numbers of SNSD Mr Taxi , Twinkle , Gee , Oh, The Boys all seemed to have the girls singing and taking command of those song ... this one didn't hook me with the vocals

now im not saying it a bad song by any means i would give it a 9 or 10 for sure ... it's growing on me .... but the weaker vocals on the track is not gonna turn it into on of the must listen to snsd songs for me

never listen to the rest of the mini album yet so i can't just one way or another yet ...

RyanE117 RyanE117
  • Donors
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

To me Mr Mr the single is very week vocally ... the girls held back or it the way the song is suppose to be sung idk ... but it's some of the weakest vocals when compared to other dance numbers of SNSD Mr Taxi , Twinkle , Gee , Oh, The Boys all seemed to have the girls singing and taking command of those song ... this one didn't hook me with the vocals.

I believe that Girls' Generation's singles are relatively easy to sing in comparison with a few of their ballads, like "Lost in Love" or "Star Star Star." But I also believe that the vocals in Mr Mr are just as powerful and passionate as any of their title tracks. 

*side note: I'm glad to see a FFIV fan on Soshified. Rydia is one of my favorite characters from the game because she was ridiculously powerful as an adult.

rydiafan rydiafan
  • Donors
  • 1121 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

I believe that Girls' Generation's singles are relatively easy to sing in comparison with a few of their ballads, like "Lost in Love" or "Star Star Star." But I also believe that the vocals in Mr Mr are just as powerful and passionate as any of their title tracks. 

*side note: I'm glad to see a FFIV fan on Soshified. Rydia is one of my favorite characters from the game because she was ridiculously powerful as an adult.

lol glad im not the only FF fan here lol

Anyhow ... i am still enjoying the song and video so much .... im loving it alot  ... the song convinced me to buy the mr mr mini album

well i still feel the vocals are weaker then SNSD other songs ... it doesn't take away from the experience as a whole ... the Mr Mr single and Video Rock ( i can't say album yet cause never listened to it yet )  worthy of all the success it's been getting

blazeaire blazeaire
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

Yus, finally I see someone appreciate Back Hug as much as I do :D. For me, it's definitely my fav song on the album although overall it's not a bad album at all. Personally I liked it much better then IGAB album but the title song Mr Mr could've much better if it had a more dynamic chorus imo, everything else is pretty good :P. Overall I give the album a 7.5/10

natttaengoo natttaengoo
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

MR.MR. is definitely not a very bad album and also not a very good one. So, It's just enough too appreciate for me.

My most favorite of all tracks in this album is "Back Hug"

#ForeverSoShiFanaticTaeGanger =P

2ia8h.jpgzoeybb.jpg 2utohdu.jpg

"Having known Girls' Generation happened for a reason. It's not just a coincidence, nor any usual occurrence.

It was all meant to be; Being a SONE was truly meant for me."

Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     

erin_45 erin_45
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

i really really love goodbye, the vocals are amazing, and as a whole it's just a breath of fresh air :)

D.R.Anru D.R.Anru
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

Europa's quite fine with me, I just couldn't consider Goodbye so well, though. Wait a Minute is above decent. Back Hug is sweet and nice. Soul is like...no. I liked the Chinese version better even if it is much harder to sing along. :|

When I first listened to the whole album, I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't have any cute songs (e.g. "Say Yes", "My J"). :(

Anyway, "Mr. Mr." itself is good song, though not as good as IGAB, proven that during our recent SONE gathering, we cheered much louder and spazzed longer while watching IGAB performances compared to when we're watching Mr. Mr. performances.

Edited by D.R.Anru, 22 April 2014 - 06:22 AM.

yoonvelyz yoonvelyz
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:39 PM

honestly this is one one my favorite albums/eps, second to igab. the concept was amazing (in my opinion) and it looked 10x better when performed <3 out of all them, soul is my least favorite only because they released it in chinese first and i was so used to hearing it like that. the song just sounded weird in korean to me lol

tumblr  |  artwork  |  request  |  forvelvet

hMencAI.png

Dxbc5AI.png

lion heart //

mssone1993 mssone1993
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:04 AM

I don't understand why the general public seems to be let down by Mr. Mr. when I think that the song is the best Korean song released by SNSD everrr!

I love the key changes and the bridge lol.

KINGSOSHI^o^ KINGSOSHI^o^
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

I honestly believe that Mr. Mr. is still their best Mini Album, I tend to enjoy numbers like Soul, and Wait a minute, and goodbye. Despite the critisism it received I will stand by the song and album

rupdiddy rupdiddy
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

Mr. Mr. is still one of my favourite SNSD title tracks. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as popular but I appreciated their change in direction from bubbly pop music to something more sophisticated. [Also dat dance break :') ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  alice_ot12 (10:04:11 AM) what happened?
@  Keitaro88 (04:20:34 PM) hi :)
@  datlmhg (05:16:24 AM) good night
@  korniceman3000 (01:20:35 PM) (O.O) Singer Park Boram just died of cardiac arrest....https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/park-boram-k-pop-singer-songwriter-obituary-1235654493/
@  cinderella@y... (10:57:35 PM) finally someone stop the bot
@  CaptTJTaru (06:09:44 PM) its okay, it was a good run