[MAGAZINE] SNSD - Vogue JapanJanuary 2013 issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic
Kkabbekky Kkabbekky
  • Donors
  • 3560 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Questions:

1. What is your impression about today’s clothes?
2. What activity left you the biggest impression this year?
3. What surprised you the most about global activities? What was fun?
4. The theme of the shooting was “Smile”, but what do you think about “Smiles”?
5. Whenever you are sad, what/who do you think about that makes you smile immediately?
6. When you are on stage and give smiles to everyone what are you aware of the most?
7. What makes you smile completely lately?
8. Within your own smile, what is your favorite smile?
9. To maintain a pretty smile, are there any things you pay attention to with your teeth and lips?
10. What do you want to do the most right now?
11. What do you want to challenge yourself with as an artist?
12. What do you think you’ll be doing ten years from now?

Hyoyeon

1. Till now it has the most flowery pattern, it’s very feminine and magnificent.
3. I’m surprised about meeting fans that come greet us at the airport.
4. It comes naturally
5. A single word/phrase from my family, members, friends gives me strength.
6. I pay attention to showing the best performance.
7. 1) My limitless imagination with Yoona that makes me laugh so much my stomach hurts 2) Fooling around during dance practice with members.
8. Smiling brightly while showing your teeth.
9. In order to have a good blood circulation and to have a good complexion, I take a half body bath or get a massage.
10. For my skin I want to take off my makeup immediately and relax.
11. I want to try a  movie with a dancing theme or a musical!
12. To fulfill targets that I didn’t fulfill yet till now and to keep on going till I reach the next target.

Sunny

1. Because I usually have a lot of comfortable clothes, these kind of clothes are very fresh and fun to wear.
2. My first musical performance.
3. The fact that we get loved in Japan or Europe by exceeding race and language barriers.
4. I have the habit of laughing that make my eyes disappear.
5. Funny pictures of the members that are saved on my cellphone.
6. I think about the expectation and support towards myself and SNSD.
8. Every time I laugh I smile so that my eyes disappear. It’s the more lovely when you smile naturally.
10. When I return home I want to change into comfortable clothes and relax.
11. I want to grow more as snsd than before.  I also want to challenge myself in other areas but now I want to keep on doing things as SNSD.
12. I hope I’ll be a good artist, wife and mother?

Tiffany

1. Wearing my favorite dior makes me feel like a fairy.
2. When our first Japanese album became a million seller.
3. Thanks to it I'm very happy I can return home to LA every 3 months.
5. Whenever I imagine the future, my heart beats fast and I smile right away.
6. The feeling of transferring my happiness to the fans.
7. My birthday!
8. Smiling while showing lots of teeth and until my eyes disappear. When I do that I feel really happy.
10. That I can sing the song I want to sing right now live.
11. Movie, drama! A song is 5 min long, but because you can express your emotions for a long time while acting, I think it would be fun.
12. Without any change, I’ll still love music and will also be acting. And by that time I will probably have a lovely family? (laughs)

Sooyoung

1. I feel like a lady.
2. My first time acting in a drama.
3. I still can’t believe we appeared on an American tv program.
4. I like it more when you don’t see your teeth when smiling than showing your teeth.
5. Because I’m a Christian, God? Or the smile of a child.
6. Energy. The energy I receive from the fans is big, and I want to send even more energy [to the fans].
8. A smile. Not a half smile.
9. I always carry lipstick. My favorite color is Bolero by NARS.
10. I want to get a massage.
11. Musical!
12. I'll have a family, with a husband and kids. But I think I’ll still be in SNSD.

Yoona

1. It feels like I’m standing happily on the runway.
2. Asia tour.
3. The fact that there are fans in America and Paris that know us and cheer for us.
4. I like smiles where you don’t see teeth.
5. I always smile whenever I’m with the members.
6. If I can show an excited and cool image then I can also pass it to the audience.
7. Recently while joking around with Hyoyeon, we have big laughters.
8. All laughs are good.
9. Because I have a dry skin, I moisturize it. I also take care that when I smile the corners of my mouth go up prettily.
10. Return home and relax. I want to eat a delicious meal.
11. I would definitely like to try acting in a movie someday.
12. Because I will be 33 years old then I guess I will be married? (laughs) And challenge myself in acting?

Taeyeon

2. Promotions with Taetiseo (a unit with SNSD Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun)
3. Wherever we go in the world, we meet people who knows SNSD and who come and greet us.
5. Fooling around with the members and exchanging jokes.
6. I imagine myself smiling.
7. Imagining having fun with the fans for next year's tour makes me happy already!
8. A big smile.
9. I apply plenty of lip treatment before I go to bed.
10. Drive.
11. Movie!!
12. I think I’ll forever be doing music.

Seohyun

1. It was fun. Especially when discovering Hyoyeon’s new charm.
3. Singing together in Korean with a lot of French people during a performance in Paris.
5. My family, members and friends who worry about me the most during times of hardships.
6. That I’m having fun to the maximum.
7. When we were dancing with Hyoyeon at the head during dance practice.
8. A natural smile when I’m having loads of fun.
9. Sufficient fluid intake, moisturizer, sleep, skin whitening pack, and exercise! But the most important is to make an effort into improving yourself internally. So that you can always have a smile on your face.
10. Concert! I receive a lot of power from concerts.
11. Music composition, musical, movie, and also drama.
12. Even more so than now, I wouldn’t stop challenging myself with diverse music.

Jessica

1. I wore a wonderful Valentino dress. It’s my usual and favorite brand.
2. All activities leave me an impression.
3. I’m happy I can eat delicious food in whatever country and I can meet the fans.
5. My younger sister!
6. The songs.
9. I apply a lot of lip balm frequently.
10. I want to relax.
11. Movie. I want to try to appear in a funny romantic comedy.
12. I hope to find happiness....

Yuri

1. Usually I don’t have the opportunity to wear such gorgeous clothes so I’m happy.
2. The release of our second Japanese album!
3. Even when crossing national borders the fact that we can sing SNSD songs together makes me happy!!
4. The emphasis on evolving beauty. (laughs)
5. Freedom and music. When I breathe in the beautiful atmosphere and listen to the music, my mood clears up.
6. Even when I’m aware of certain people, I enjoy the music and when I express my passion my energy gets transmitted naturally.
7. So much I can’t remember it all. (laughs) I laugh every day.  
9. I brush my teeth 3 times a day and I frequently put lipcream on!
10. I want to go to a ski slope and snowboard.
11. Acting in a movie or a drama. Also writing.
12. I want to be a person that shines even more on stage than now. (laughs)

Main interview

The first time Vogue Japan had a shooting with SNSD was in April 2011. Appearing in that year’s issue in July, SNSD's approached us with warm smiles, even though the shooting took place in the poolside in chilly Seoul.

And after almost 1 year and a half we meet again in Tokyo. The members standing in front of the camera shine differently than previous time; I could feel the confidence and composure.
During this year they achieved first spot in the Oricon Weekly Chart for the first time and they received the million seller certification from the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ). It is also most likely they still have a feeling of having accomplishments left [to achieve].

To continue that million seller achievement done with “Girls’ Generation”, they released a second album “Girls’ Generation II: Girls & Peace”.  Suitable global creators were also involved for the girls who are not only active in Asia. Miles Walker, the Grammy Awards winner, who produced Usher and Beyonce’s hit songs, is in charge of mixing the singles “Paparazzi” and “Flower Power.”

On the other hand, it was also an active year with live performances in Europe and America.  Starting from Asia, including Japan, they also performed in the SMTOWN LIVE concerts in LA, NY, Paris, and more, together with artists like DBSK and Super Junior, who belong to the same company as them. Furthermore, SNSD’s live appearance on the popular American talk shows “The Late Night Show with David Letterman” and “Live! With Kelly” became a hot topic.

Adopted by a great number of American media, they were also largely introduced in the high class literary magazine “The New Yorker”, a same publisher as Vogue. The most interesting above all is the usage of the word ‘eye smile’ when explaining SNSD’s charms.  In other words, when they are on stage, they smile at thousands of people, but for the fans they fall into an optical illusion where they think SNSD only looks and smiles at them. This is SNSD’s magic.  From the point of view of mainstream Americans with a uniform ‘Hollywood smile’, a wide while showing their teeth, wouldn’t SNSD’s kindness emitting smile be displayed as fresh?  

That’s why Vogue Japan requested to photograph SNSD’s smiles this time.  For the first cut they had sweet smiles, and the second was cool. We also questioned them about ideal smiles.  

We heard in advance from staff that the members had a tightly worked out schedule from early in morning on the same day, so when the girls appeared at the studio in Aoyama, Tokyo late at night we worried a bit if their energy would last till the end of our photoshoot.  

But when they all lined up in front of the camera, Tiffany first asked in Japanese, “Can you turn on some music that will bring us in the mood?”  The studio got engulfed by an explosive beat and while Hyoyeon was making the members laugh by dancing, Yoona imitated models walking on the runway, making everybody laugh non-stop.  It’s the privilege of former youth, but by doing that our mood also went up and while laughing naturally the photoshoot ended without any problems.

Afterwards when asking about smiles, the most often reply was, “When we enjoy ourselves, the person watching will also feel it as well.”  The members emphasized in one voice, “It’s the same with performances on stage” (Yoona) and “I believe you can naturally transmit your passion.” (Yuri)

Only their answers about their ideal smiles were different.  While Hyoyeon said, “Laugh while showing your teeth,” Sooyoung said, “Don’t show your teeth.”  Sunny answered, “Laugh so your eyes disappear,” and Tiffany added, “Make your eyes disappear and show your teeth a lot.”  Seohyun said, “Whatever the smile what’s in one’s heart is more important,” and Taeyeon declared, “Anyway, a big smile.”  

When looking at the smiles of great individuals of SNSD, we also start smiling.  That is SNSD’s magic; you can’t take your eyes off of them.

translation by [email protected], [email protected]

thanks to whimtwit@twitter

*Team Y's twitter* My twitter*

Posted ImagePosted Image

credit yulsic sigs: taeyeon17

RickachuSNSD RickachuSNSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 3493 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

It's good to know that despite their superstardom, they are still pretty much just normal young ladies with normal everyday preferences just like the next girl. I'm glad that their success hasn't apparently gotten to their heads and they are still so much firmly on the ground. I mean, the reasons for smiling, it's so simple that you can see that they haven't really changed a lot since their debut days.

I really do hope that their dreams of continuing to spread so much love, cheer, and happiness through music, acting, etc. would continue on. Here's to wishing all the best for the Girls this 2013!

Edited by RickLovesSNSD, 31 January 2013 - 02:50 AM.

Jigemeun, So Nyuh Shi Dae! Apuroudo, So Nyuh Shi Dae! Yongwonhi, So Nyuh Shi Dae! So Nyuh Shi Dae Saranghe!
My encounter with the Girls:
Bangkok, Hsinchu, Manila, Taipei, Taipei Again, Bulacan, Seoul, Hong Kong, Seoul Again, Taipei 3rd, Manila Again, Manila 3rd
My thoughts on the Girls: Power of Nine, One Year Later, Two Years, On Being a SONE, Deeper Feelings At your own risk: Twitter, Instagram Covers: Blind CH Ver. (SM The Ballad Zhoumi), Non-SNSD Covers Thread, SNSD Covers Thread Fanfic: Breathe, Don't Speak
BunnyPancake.jpg
If Fany uploads a picture of herself in that Party MV bikini like what Sunny did, I SWEAR I'M GONNA THROW MYSELF OUT THE WINDOW

MoonSoshi9 MoonSoshi9
  • Writers
  • 466 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

That was a really cool interview. It's fun seeing the differences in the members' personalities like which kind of smiles they like haha. It's so true about how they look at and smile at fans. SNSD is pro at making you feel like you're the only one there. Thanks for the translation!!

bluepinkz bluepinkz
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

woooohh !

thanks for the translation !

man these girls are ;A; ..

SM go make a movie for em , funny action comedy romantic movie ..

one movie with all of em in that movie rofl , make 9 parts or so , so everyone will get their own spotlight lol xD

i would love to watch it tbh xD ..

and from collecting those answers , i really wanna say this to SM "PLEASE GIVE EM A WELL DESERVED HOLIDAY THANKS"

anw i really love em T^T , u can see Soshibond here, ok not see, feel T^T ..

these girls ;A; , these dorks ;A; , these super awesome people ;A; . these sweethearts ;A; ..

idk what to say beside i really grateful that i know em ^^

Soshi being Soshi is my happiness indeed lol , i can't find words to describe em, so someone need to invent a new word to describe em, as for now, the suitable word is Soshi indeed lol

and i really love this part n completely agree "When looking at the smiles of great individuals of SNSD, we also start smiling.  That is SNSD’s magic; you can’t take your eyes off of them."

i've been soshified indeed ..

again, thanks for the translation ~

SSF team FTW xD

ducky u know that i woof u right rofl, thanks for linking me this, and TL it too xD

지금은 소녀시대!! | 앞으로도 소녀시대!! | 영원히 소녀시대!!

한번소원은 영원한소원 !

@vcAcivon

yoongsoshi yoongsoshi
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

thank you for sharing and translating x))
Eh? did they not answer some questions? example, hyoyeon who didnt answer question number 2.
While the other members answer a lot, sica's answers are so short. lol

DJS DJS
  • Donors
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

I love the theme of this interview, they were talking abt smile. It's nice to share smile with someone because it's like sharing ur happiness with the others. Please keep on smiling SNSD because sones will always try to make all of u happy too. Hihi..

Btw thx for the translation. Happy birthday soshified. Hoho..

be grateful with whatever it is because His plan never fails you..

If you want to be respected , show respect first ..

kt9823 kt9823
  • Writers
  • 431 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

very nice interview. i love that they keep each other up still, always having laughter and good fun with one another. also found sooyoung's answer really interesting, "I'll have a family, with a husband and kids. But I think I’ll still be in SNSD."

bzhu bzhu
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Wow this is so awesome! Thanks for the translations, that was a great read :)  

Smiling while showing lots of teeth and until my eyes disappear. When I do that I feel really happy. - Tiffany <3

AkumaNoMi AkumaNoMi
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thx for the translation.. Now we know more about them.. They dont show any tired of hectic because their strong bond with member.. Keep smile and give the smile with the other to make better smile and forget their busy schedule :)... Bond to be 9 forever.. So Nyuh Shi Dae Daebak :)

The Shy The Shy
  • Donors
  • 3907 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

Thank for the translation!  Their different views on their preferred smiling style is very interesting. Enjoyed reading this interview! =]

Posted ImagePosted Image
No matter how gifted, you alone cannot change the world. But that's the wonderful thing about this world. - L Lawliet (L: change the world)
Girls' Generation, thank you for always inspiring me to give in my very best. All of you are the best models in life that I can ever have, and thank you for being the light in the darkness for me!

ZeeKayYee ZeeKayYee
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

That is a lot to translate, thank you for spending time to do that ^^ Lots to read as well haha... Thanks once again!

Posted Image

Credit: cream

speedthief speedthief
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2144 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Well I can see that the girls have their own views and opinions regarding their lives! 

Thanks for translation! :)         

Dancing Queen who's Lost In Love, took Express 999 to Romantic St., to Tell Me "I Got A Boy." But I said, "Baby Maybe Look At Me, I Promise to give you XYZ. So Call Me Maybe Someday, I Am gonna Marry You."  

8Dv8IVl.png

Memory test! First fanfic! The Dream Team @MrPinkShidae http://flavors.me/speedthief

CR TO Azlanslayer FOR TAENG SIG! Tae, Sic, Sun, Fany, Hyo, Yul, Soo, Yoon, Seo ! YoonTae FTW!

SakuraRose SakuraRose
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Thank you for the translations.

I really enjoyed reading this interview and seeing their opinions on various things.

I really liked what was written at the end:

"When looking at the smiles of great individuals of SNSD, we also start smiling.  That is SNSD’s magic; you can’t take your eyes off of them."

It's so true.

ixyz3lXk6jntO.png

My FanFic: Glass Walls

yoonabs yoonabs
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for translations! I really like their honest answers, and I really enjoyed reading the interview.

I can't wait to see the girls' next activities this upcoming year :3 Thanks for sharing ;x

233jQ.png

cr; Pandagirl

G A L A X  Y  S U P E R N O V A

Yuffy Yuffy
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

what can't fail to make me smile?

Seohyun

Hyoyeon

Tiffany

Sooyoung

Taeyeon

Yuri

Yoona

Jessica

Sunny

EvilRaizy EvilRaizy
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the translation. It's surprising to see at times how simple some of their answers are, but the short and sweet answers get the job done. 

soshipiano11 soshipiano11
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Thank you so much for the translation! In the interview we can see the girls expressing their somewhat honest thoughts.. but what caught my eye was Sica's last statement..

12. What do you think you’ll be doing ten years from now?

Sica: I hope to find happiness...

Ofc we all know that the girls are happy and fulfilled with their status right now.. but I guess life on the fast lane does have some side effects.. Sica we are here if you are feeling down! Aja! SNSD fighting! Himnae~~~  ㅎㅎㅎ

People with good hearts are the ultimate winners. - 서 주 현 (Seo Joo Hyun)
Even as the time goes by, the name 'SNSD' will be forever in our hearts. - 김태연 (Kim Taeyeon)

yIh2Zto.gif

OMYGPJQ.jpg

SNSD | 소녀시대 | Girls' Generation | 少女時代

aiu aiu
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Wow daebak :D thanks for the translation btw^^

Their honest answer just tooo cute T_T

Ahh i love them more more more and moooreeee!  :blush:

Franz_25 Franz_25
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the translation :D

I love Sica's one line answers.

and lol at Taeyeon. What do you want to do the most right now? "Drive."

Franz_25, proud member of the SONE  FANDOM Since Forever 

rsz_1screen_shot_2015_07_01_at_122359_am

aura0fdeath aura0fdeath
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

oh man, tiffany gets to go home more often than i do. *jealous*

but thanks for the translation. it was really nice seeing the differences between the girls. one of my favorite questions to look at were the "what do you want to do now" and "what do you see yourself doing in 10 years" questions. It seems they all want to continue in the entertainment industry...except Jessica. She just wants happiness XD

tumblr_mcaxnl9cLH1qdj1wto1_500.jpg

"If there is no Taeyeon in this world, what can we do?" ~Good Song (KBS2)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  alice_ot12 (10:04:11 AM) what happened?
@  Keitaro88 (04:20:34 PM) hi :)
@  datlmhg (05:16:24 AM) good night
@  korniceman3000 (01:20:35 PM) (O.O) Singer Park Boram just died of cardiac arrest....https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/park-boram-k-pop-singer-songwriter-obituary-1235654493/
@  cinderella@y... (10:57:35 PM) finally someone stop the bot