Photo

[OTHER] STY Girls' Generation Production LogJanuary 2012 - Producer STY talks about SNSD's Japanese album

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic
arghninja arghninja
  • SoShi Subbers
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Spoiler

STY - Girls' Generation Production Log Part 1

-Producer STY has worked with many major superstars such as Koda Kumi, Exile, Beni, SHINee, etc. Building a strong foothold as a next generation model producer, STY's highlight was being involved in producing Girls’ Generation’s album last year, titled "Girls' Generation."
After coming through Great Eastern Japan Earthquake, a first for digmee, STY reveals frankly in his own words about the inside story of producing "Girls' Generation" and about Girls' Generation as artists.-

-Do they exist or don't exist? That kind of ambiguous feeling. But, a pop icon.-

At the end of last year, Girls’ Generation released their first Japanese repackage album. In this album, STY produced 4 vocal tracks and lent his hand in co-writing 3 songs, but as a matter fact, he avoided talking too much about his work on the album. This is because he appeared to be devoid of any consideration about this overwhelming pop icon. However, since the album and tour this time reaped huge success, established a number of records, little by little, he wanted to talk about this album. It looks like it will be long, so please follow along with us.

"The Beginning"

From around July of 2010, staff of both Digz,inc. group and SM Entertainment Japan held detailed meetings about Girls’ Generation’s 3rd single in Japan. Until the album music composition was decided, the staff of Digz most likely collected hundreds of songs and demos from Japan, Korea, North America, Northern Europe, and many other countries (among a number of those countries, the staff actually went to that location), and among those tracks, songs constantly piled up through careful selection. Furthermore, things that were brushed up were recorded in the album.

The concept in Digz is "Japan's next generation pop music is not to fit anybody, but what we think is good" (This is Digz's boss’ own words). The creators from many countries doing collaborations or connecting through communication, let alone Digz, is most likely something that has never experienced before in Japan. Confined within a time limit and because this was the first time the team challenged something like this, so of course there were a lot of differences in opinions and conflicts among engineers, producers, A&R, managers, and other staff in specific roles. Nevertheless, overcoming those differences, we come to realize those experiences is something we were suppose to have after watching Girls’ Generation's activity.

I was first approached about working with Girls’ Generation around September of 2010. Around that time, I was working to death on some other work, so I actually declined the honor of working and producing Girls Generation's new song. (Up until now, I have never once declined any work that was offered to me, but around that time, I was extremely busy. The reason I declined was because when I'm involved in a project I want to handle creative control properly and to take full responsibility until the end, so if I cannot do that, I do not want to participate half-heartedly.)

Looking back now, it is something unbelievable, but with an adjustment to the schedule, staff co-operation, and ending with the efforts (and persuasion) from management, I found myself being involved in discussions about Girls’ Generation. (Even now, my stubborn attitude at that time is made fun of within the company. (laughs))

“MR.TAXI”

By the end of 2010, the musical composition had already been whittled down to a few select candidates. Of course there were a lot of out track compositions that were not included in the the album at the very end, but each composition was scrutinized through an organized process of testing with lyrics, music, and mixing. We were determined to continue this process until the quality and grade of the demo had been pushed to its highest limits.

Among those, the two songs that stood out were "MR.TAXI" and "Let It Rain". The former had a stiff beat, and an aggressive synth that was closely linked to a dance tune. The latter song was an elegant, medium ballad. I was entrusted to do the vocal production and co-writing of "MR.TAXI".

When I was writing the lyrics, I kept aiming for “surreal” in a good way and nothing else but that. I think if you look at the lyrics you will understand, but no one can catch us traveling around the world, however, it's a warning to look this way.This kind of feeling is surreal. However, we added the essence of "suggestiveness?" from the start, to make the 9 members of Girls' Generation seem like characters out of a dream world. Suggestive, surreal, and a touch of fantasy. That was the kind of image I had of Girls' Generation. Exactly what country are they in now? What are they eating? Do they exist or don't exist? That kind of ambiguous feeling. But, a pop icon. Personally, this kind of presence is an exception. (Of course, everybody in Korea knows they are top idols.)

Recording the music composition for this spanned from February 17th to the 18th, at Digz's DCH STUDIO. During those hours, a few members would come, record, leave, then the other members would come, and so on and so forth for that two day period. Personally, it was the first time I have ever recorded the main lead prior to recording the harmony, so it was a very new experience.

"Everyone's variety"

Since all 9 girls at their adolescent years, their personality varies.

"How should I put my feelings into this word?" "Is this part falsetto? In a natural voice?" questions are asked by Taeyeon and Jessica, both with insatiable inquiring minds on singing; innocent Yoona who says, "I'm weak at singing, but I love it;" Yuri, who doesn't show any sign of tiredness during the long recordings; Sunny, who supports the vocal line brilliantly; Hyoyeon, who is very shy; Sooyoung, who thought up her own Japanese rap for MR. TAXI (Unfortunately, due to the circumstances of the work, the rap was not used, but the "1,2,3!" shout right before the dance part was her idea); Tiffany, who is always changing, bright and full of energy; and Seohyun, who is hard working and speaks Japanese fluently.

Since I cannot speak Korean at all, it was basically staff who did all the translating or had conversations in English, but as the recordings progressed, I started to remember many specific Korean words during the recordings. No matter which member said "Johayo" to me while smiling, it was memorable.

STY - Girls' Generation Production Log Part 2

--Neither J, K, US, nor UK, pure POP.--

“Great Eastern Japan Earthquake”

The recording and editing for “MR.TAXI” was over and finally it was time for the mixing work, however on March 11th, the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake occurred. All the record companies took a one week temporary leave from work. However, the mixing had to be finished according to schedule by March 13th. It was because it was initially decided that the single was to be released the following month on April 13th (in the end with a delay of two weeks, it was released on April 27th).

The continuing aftershocks, radiation, planned blackouts.... The chaotic state within the country was to the point where it was questioned if the single would actually be released. However, we solemnly chose that there was no other option than to continue the work.

Unable to decide on what to do with mixing “MR.TAXI” within Digz, the offer was made to America’s finest mixing engineer, Andros Rodrigues, who worked with Justin Timberlake, Whitney Houston, T.I, and Ludacris. The mix of heavy bass was previously unheard of in Japan’s pop field and remembering seeing and hearing that on the news still stirs my heart even now.

“THE GREAT ESCAPE / you-aholic”

With the influence of the Eastern Japan Earthquake, the production and release of the album was delayed. In that time, production proceeded with two songs popular within the album, “THE GREAT ESCAPE” and “you-aholic”. These two songs also kept the concept of “surrealism and suggestiveness”. It was as if within the texture of the Japanese language a foreign language could be heard. In reality, the lyrics look surreal with mixed arrangements of English and Korean. When asked what “Psycho-sexy-super-magic” means, I’m unable to answer.

With/In respect to producing Girls' Generation, I usually decided by myself which songs I want to [produce], but simply by accident and chance the two songs I chose were worked on by E.Kidd Bogart, who won countless awards and whose most recent works include hit songs like Beyonce’s “Halo” and Jason Derulo’s “It Girl”. Actually, when proceeding with the songs, I had no idea that Evan Bogart co-wrote the songs. Had I known that such good melodies and words came from him, to tell the truth, I doubt I would take on the songs now.

The Digz staff all flew to Korea where recording was held from April 5th-9th and from April 18th-21st 2011 for a total of over one week. I remember having very complex feelings from seeing Gimpo Airport for the first time to feeling some nostalgia from the scenery in Seoul’s center, to feeling the freshness, and also feeling uneasiness from recording overseas.

We stayed at the Riviera Hotel and directly headed to the studio awaiting us, which was surprisingly a regular studio. I thought that even if the placed changed what we had to do would not change, so we recorded and catered with great relish as usual. At that time, they showed us the promotional video for “MR.TAXI”, which was currently being edited, and we had small talk with the members (around then, the incident of Taeyeon being pulled off-stage by the arm by a man happened and we asked if she was alright), so the harmonious feeling session continued and ended.

“Since then”

After that, the released album, “GIRLS’ GENERATION”, established a new record for a debut album by a foreign artist. Then the nationwide tour that started afterwards was a success and furthermore the repackaged album and tour DVD were set to be released.

This time, a word I did not even use once is “K-POP”. Individually, I think this Girls' Generation album is not about J, K, US, nor UK, it is simply POP. I think it was about time to talk about how that music is born, raised, and released into the world in what way, and so I wrote such a long article. I really can talk more and more, to the point where I could talk and shoot a documentary film, but that is for another time.

One thing or another, I’ll be happy if people thought, “Wow”.

STY
Born in 1980. Started track making and writing around 2002, he became a songwriter as his major field and career around 2005. He goes back and forth between various roles, like producer, songwriter, track maker, and singer, and his fun style of making music freely fits best as a next generation producer. He has worked with over 50 artists including EXILE and Koda Kumi.

Source: Digmee Part 1 , Part 2
Translated by: arghninja, redsunset, SeraphKY @ soshified.com

MoonSoshi9 MoonSoshi9
  • Writers
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for translating this! I love learning about the process and behind the scenes works it takes to make amazing music, especially when it comes to SNSD. The Japan album was so well-made, and you can really tell that by this piece.

Forever 9 ♡ Forever 9 ♡
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Wow . So much work for that awesome Japanese song ..

I thought Mr Taxi was a song bought from some A pop singer ..

Anyway , thanks for the translations <3

Forever & Always; Jessica Jung.

{{ tumblr ; twitter }}

RageX RageX
  • Donors
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

Thank you so much all the J-translators who worked on this, I was the one who kind of brought this up to arghninja but I totally didn't expect this quick turn around. I hope I didn't create a ton of unnecessary workload by accident, I love reading about the creative and production process of music, especially when it comes to such an awesome album, I'm sure many will appreciate reading this piece. Thank you!

Starry Daisy Starry Daisy
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Honestly my first reaction to Mr Taxi is a kind of mixed feelings because I actually thought Mr Taxi is so fine to the point that the choreography and the music go so well together, upbeat and surreal. I'm very impressed with the production team.

Even for the Japanese album I'm very satisfied with the songs chosen, not quite my type of music but I eventually fall in love with every piece that was recorded on that album. THAT is the strategy and hard work behind these awesome people. I can see why Girls' Generation can walk a mile further than any other group because these brains are really one of a kind.

It is VERY true that their music is neither J, K, US or EU pop, it's their very own kind of POP music!

I'm on twitter

kittyyul kittyyul
  • Donors
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

First of all, thank you @arghninja, redsunset, SeraphKY for translating this. You guys are awesome.
This is very refreshing to read. It's really new to know how the behind the scene of the production of their album.
I'm always curious of how the album is produced and the story behind it. I love how they care for every single details
from concept, feelings and the foresee effect when producing album. From this little things, the awesome and epic
album is produced. I think being a producer, sound engineer or anything that is music-related is very cool.
And it would be really cool when you got to work with SNSD. Huhuhu.

dan4413jwfJUH dan4413jwfJUH
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1180 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

haha "ill be happy if ppl thought wow" yeah with SNSD, it definitely IS a WOW. but im so happy that he decided to share, really helps me appreciate the ppl behind the scenes helping SNSD and how hard it was for the girls to come up with their entire album :) will definitely be following them and Supporting them, whenever, wherever :) SNSD fighting!
Jes♥♥SicaPosted ImagePosted ImageThe Soshi Theory- So Nyuh Shi Dae+Sone=9+1 <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Posted Image

eriye9 eriye9
  • Donors
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

Really great article! Pretty cool to see what happens behind the scenes. Certainly takes a lot of combined efforts to make a hit song. The little insights of each girl during recording was especially fascinating, I totally said "Awww" out loud when I read what Yoona said!

After reading, it actually made me hope for more opportunities for the Girls to write/cowrite songs! I love hit songs and I wouldn't want them to stop working with professional lyricists. But still I would very much love to see some more songs written with the Girls' input. I guess just more chances for them to truly express themselves through song, to get a glimpse of what feelings/emotions they've been going through. We know that there are talented writers amongst the Girls, Sooyoung, Tiffany, etc who've all helped out with verse writing. I'm sure the rest would be great at it too, considering how talented. smart and expressive they can be!

Anyways, that is all. As a fan I would be completely okay if one of their songs didn't turn out popular, if it was written by the Girls. Worth it! =)
Posted Image

Bemz Bemz
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

thanks for sharing...
it is really an amazing work... how the single and album go through all the process...
how the music is produced...
It is an amazing piece of art work...

janeycookie janeycookie
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

Thank you for the translations!
This article really helped me appreciate the Japanese album and the people behind Girls' Generation more.
Such a great amount of effort and passion placed in a work deserves such great recognition.
Truly, this one deserves to go down in music history.

Edited by janeycookie, 19 February 2012 - 05:58 AM.

kebinbin kebinbin
  • Donors
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

Very intresting read. It's good to know about the proceess of the music produciton.
Thank you for sharing and translating.

Posted Image

yoongildong yoongildong
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

Thank you for posting and the translations =D what Yoona said sort of broke my heart though :( her voice is A-MA-ZING alright. She maybe can't hit high notes like some of the lead singers (Taeyeon, Jessica etc) but it has some sort of sweetness(?) to it. She doesn't deserve all the hatred piled on her, to be honest. Would love the girls to collaborate with bigger names in the music industry ^^ Girls' Generation fightaeng!

"영 원히 너와 꿈꾸고 싶다"

FellowSONE FellowSONE
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Thank you so much for translating this! It really gives you a better appreciation for the album when you learn about the work that went into producing it!

ZeeKayYee ZeeKayYee
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

Wow, thanks for the translation : ) I love how STY described the personality of the members. Although I know it takes a lot to produce an album, I'm still surprised by the efforts behind the scene taken to produce SNSD's album Oo
Posted Image

Credit: cream

raissagloria raissagloria
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

i love how he describe each member hard work behind japan promotion.
and its all because of your translating :)
thank you so muchh !!

"[i]Posted Image

"i want to dream forever with you."

So Nyeo Shi dae 2007 - forever

taengsoshi taengsoshi
  • Donors
  • 613 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thought I'd say thanks for translating this (:
You guys work so hard for every little translation that we all might have missed. Just know that there are always people who appreciate the hard work ^^
I really liked reading through the song production process. What goes on behind-the-scenes is always interesting..

Posted Image

So Nyuh Shi Dae | Power of Nine | S♡NE Forever | @taengsoshi

jcadigital jcadigital
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

That is great. Glad to see STY share his thoughts on the girls. He must have had a blast realizing that his work is going with Girls' Generation.

My only regret about Girls' Generation is that I wish I knew about them sooner. - jcadigital

luvryeo luvryeo
  • Donors
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

This time, a word I did not even use once is “K-POP”. Individually, I think this Girls' Generation album is not about J, K, US, nor UK, it is simply POP

SNSD daebakk! :D he must be really proud of our girls.

YoonAddict ♥ GorjessSpazzer

tumblr_nacytbZoI91r8x08wo1_500.png

hyunieeee hyunieeee
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

I like how STY actually described the things the happened BTS while producing the first Japanese Album. SNSD is really luck to have worked with STY TBH and I'm really happy with the outcome of their collaboration. One thing surprised me though, even before releasing Genie and Gee in Japan, plans for the 3rd single were already in the works... so they were really serious with MR. TAXI. No wonder it was really promoted.

I really appreciate the traslation you made for this.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

wsFL5.png

------------------今タイムマシーン

ian3373 ian3373
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

This time, a word I did not even use once is “K-POP”. Individually, I think this Girls' Generation album is not about J, K, US, nor UK, it is simply POP. I think it was about time to talk about how that music is born, raised, and released into the world in what way, and so I wrote such a long article. I really can talk more and more, to the point where I could talk and shoot a documentary film, but that is for another time.

yes... that's what I think too, good sir.. They have their unique style that's little bit different from the common genre of J, K, UK, or US.- POP. If it's me I just name it: SOSHI-POP/GG-POP....:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  Keitaro88 (04:12:17 PM) goood lol
@  Keitaro88 (04:12:11 PM) Pannchoa website appears to be taken down
@  Keitaro88 (03:55:18 PM) nothing
@  alice_ot12 (10:04:11 AM) what happened?