[INTERVIEW] Jessica and designer Son Jungwan3.29.11

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic
오이사랑싴 오이사랑싴
  • SoShi Subbers
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

Lady, to woman.... woman, to maestro

"I shouted out as soon as I saw her. I don't want to be remembered as just cute idol. Find me characteristics that I didn't know that I had myself."
"Lady who just appeared in front of me....her sophisticated youth, elegant look inspired me from deep inside."

I was hungry, impatient, and needed someone. Then, meeting between Son Jungwan and Girls' Generation Jessica - "Designer and muse' the second story.

"I was hungry for challenge. I was needlessly impatient for thinking that I shouldn't settle for current success. I needed young muse that need to move me, and then I met Jessica. As soon as I saw her, I thought 'Ah, she can inspire me'.(Son Jungwan)

"I was the one who found her first. 3~4 years ago, I was avaricious wanting to get out of image as cute idol singer. I remember what I shouted as soon as I saw her. 'Help me find me characteristics that I didn't know that I had myself!'" (Jessica)

Posted Image

Designer Son Jungwan(52) and idol group Girls' Generation member Jessica(22, Jung Sooyeon), met for first time 4 years ago. The relationship started when Jessica came to Son's fashion show and greeted. At then, they didn't know each other.
They met at perfect timing unexpectedly, in a way that they both wanted to break out of the barrier of desires they had. Like that, they just had brief greetings and had its turning point.

Designer and muse dreaming of evolution

The first question that was directed at them was about 'change'.

-They said they both have new turning point.

Son: I came back after finishing a show at Lincoln Center in New York on Feb. 17th. I got on the New york fashion week stage for first time in 24 years since debut. Out of 147 designers who were on the show, I was one of the 15 people whom youtube broadcasted live. Actor Allen Rickman, Singer Aubrey O'Day came to watch the show. I was full of joy when I saw 450 seats and standing seat all filled.

Jessica: I'm in the recording room day and night to prepare for new album in Japan that will be out in early April. I was busy taking album pictures. If I had time, I wanted to go to go her New York show....

Posted Image

-Do you remember the first time you met each other?

Son: We greeted in fashion show stage. When people think of idol singers, most just think of cute image. I did too. But Jessica looked a little different. She greeted me in sincerely and her attitude had elegance. Should I say I saw sophisticated youth, and elegance look?

Jessica: I greeted her nervously because she was a designer I always looked up to. She took it cheerfully and I became relieved right away. So I asked her right away which cloth she liked out of all her work.

-When did you start dreaming about change through each other?

Son: From last year, I always thought of wanting to debut in New York. But it's been 20 years which I didn't.
I'm a successful designer in Korea. But I wanted to go on new stage with more powerful piece. Then, Jessica's joke gave me great idea, when she said 'When you sketch, I think you will be successful in New York if you make cloth for people of my generation'. As soon as I heard that, I thought 'She is right'. I grabbed a pen right away and started planning ideas for New York collection.

Jessica: I think I changed my style from couple years ago by looking at her collection. Because of barrier that I was 'Sonyuh singer'(sonyuh means lady), I always got on stage wearing cute clothes, and didn't wear skirts that much thinking that I might look old.
But after I started musicals and debuting in Japan, I restarted the thought that 'I need to be different'. Then, her collection was big influence on me. I changed my style to more romantic and mature clothing.

Posted Image

-Son, uniting two different charms

-Did the cloth Jessica wore today come from this background?

Son: Yes. It's mysterious colored silk dress that is neither gold nor gray. I wanted to make cloth that gave satisfactory feel without any exposure. It was a cloth that I put out for New York collection stage, but was also for Jessica.

Jessica: I love it. I think others will say this is the first time seeing this side of me. When I looked through this New York show lookbook, should I say it was a combination of material that people think it wouldn't be suitable? It was mysterious and complex feelings.

Son: How did she know? It's actually complex and messy when I mix materials such as beads, knit, silk, leather, and milk. I wanted to mix these and produce creative cloth never seen before. It's a cloth that looks like a child, but when you look again, it produces full of maturity, innocence, and has smoothing appeal, like Jessica (laughs).

Posted Image

-Jessica, becoming a woman

-I hear Jessica specifically ordered cloth from designer Son.

Jessica:
I always order. I asked her to make many clothes for people who aren't so tall like me(164cm)(laughs). But surprisingly, she offered me long dress, like skirt that I wore in last year's Seoul fashion week. Before that, I didn't wear much because I didn't have much courage. But when I wore it, I looked much more slim, and more feminine. These days, I'm taking her advice trying to wear boot cut trousers.

Son: Since I went to New York after getting influenced by Jessica, I think it's her turn to start a new adventure. I think it's fine to try 1970's fashion in Japanese stage. It's okay to give voluptuous feel, and I'm thinking about going to New York stage again in autumn, with new set of mind.

Jessica: I found change in myself because of her. Should I say evolving into a singer with creating a style for myself rather than passive idol? I'm happy to get that chance. Because endless change means youth.

Translated by 오이사랑싴@soshified.com
Source: Chosun

Posted Image
Warning: my siggy pic might distract you from reading my translation

"If you don't act without thinking, I think the life just goes on like water leaking." - Seohyun

My twitter: http://twitter.com/cucluvsic

jdong jdong
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

THANK YOU BEST TRANSLATIONS SIGH SICA :")
SICA NEEDS TO GO IN TO FASHION TOO GDI HER STYLE IS SO FLY^^
LIKE A GODDESS!

snsd.power.of.nine snsd.power.of.nine
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

thanks for sharing!

simply gorjess!!!
her simple but elegant style is really an eye-catcher..
i love the level of maturity she's giving with her clothes...

the9thtrack the9thtrack
  • Donors
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

I like that last sentence; Because endless change means youth.

Jessica's has definitely changed. But that goes the same for the other girls as well.
I think that the older they get, the more they actually think about having their own individual style outside from their idol image.
It's a pleasure to see their fashion. Somehow, it's quite simple yet very classy and sophisticated.
something blue.

Sone6452 Sone6452
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

Nice article, Thx for translating SSF! Jessica looks really good in that dress, and next to Son Jungwan she looks tall as well! lol

Edited by Sone6452, 29 March 2011 - 01:45 PM.

Ability is nothing without opportunity - Napoleon Bonaparte

Kaye0810 Kaye0810
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

Thank you for the translations. It's nice to see Jessi in different kinds of concept. She can pull off anything!
I'm happy she gets this kind of opportunities. She does love fashion, doesn't she? Haha.
She looks beautiful. She makes clothes look so simple yet glamorous. Nice! xD

4_r 4_r
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

Thank you for the translation,,
Sica,,from the interview, I feel sica more n more mature.
Arrrr,,, she really really goddess!! Hem,yep goddess sica!!

sheekSSICA sheekSSICA
  • Donors
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

yes! i knew i could count on ssf to translate so quickly :]
this is a really nice interview.
i'd really love to see sica do more runways or anything related to fashion
especially since she's so passionate about it.

Adidaswbm Adidaswbm
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the translation and sharing! Wow this interview was really interesting to read; I like how Jessica shared information on why her style changed and stuff (: it's really cool that Son Jungwan actually went to New York because of Jessica!
As a Sooyoungster, I promise to cherish and love the Shikshin goddess.
I will feed the shikshin and whenever she is hungry.
I will be as strong as an unbeatable tiger.
I will eat as much as I want despite what others say. I will cry if my heart wants too.
I will be the Shikshin's source of energy and happiness.

Posted Image

colin<3SNSD colin<3SNSD
  • Donors
  • 835 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

No wonder, Sica's clothes style nowaday look different from before. it's look more mature and more elegant.
Son's idea is really nice for Sica to wear bootcut trouser... ^^ i wanna see what it's look like ><
thanks for translated and sharing this ...^^

Posted Image
icon&banner cr:lynnryan@soshified

Follow me on twitter --> Posted Image

TheOne TheOne
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the translated interview. Great to see Jessica pursuing other interests and learning as much as she can. The designer she's working with, Son Jungwan, sounds like someone who is growing in fame as well.

HeartsHyo HeartsHyo
  • Donors
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

Ooooh, so she was busy taking photos for Mr. Taxi! I can't wait for them to be released!! I've noticed this change in Jessica as well! I thought it was just me but good to see her wanting to do something different. She's always been like this though! Sica fighting! I hope she keeps it up!

Posted Image

Hyohunnie!

Hyoyeon's the only person I know to make a star out the letter 'H'

Keep trollin'!

@heartshyo

bhost909 bhost909
  • Writers
  • 3178 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

Really interesting interview here... so Jessica met the designer between 3 and 4 years ago? That would mean she met her between 2007 and 2008, so way before they came out with Gee. So already Jessica was wanting to shed the cute idol image, and they hadn't even come out with Gee or Oh! yet. Maybe the Kissing You concept was just too much for her, lol. She was also only 18 or 19 years old... not even 20 years old, and she wanted to for a mature look. First Yoona and now Jessica, they really have a mindset older than what they really are. I wonder what it was about her musical and debuting in Japan that made her suddenly want to go for a mature look again though, besides just getting older. Maybe it was the fact that as she was branching into things and places other than just being an idol singer in Korea, she wanted to change her image. Either way, the results were pretty amazing with this modeling bit.

The part of the interview that focused on the designer was really enlightening. As someone who just wears what fits, seeing the thought process of someone who actually designs clothes and outfits that actually have some thought put into them was really cool. This part stood out to me:

It's a cloth that looks like a child, but when you look again, it produces full of maturity, innocence, and has smoothing appeal, like Jessica (laughs).

I'll agree that Jessica is somehow both mature, innocent, and has a smoothing appeal, but looking like a child was definitely not what I thought when I saw the clothes that she was strutting down that runway, haha. Looking at those pictures, I thought Jessica pretty much shed her innocent look and was full blown gorgeous. Gorjess spazzers were probably in convulsions last night. I appreciate her being Jessica's source of inspiration for her fashion sense though, cause Jessica's got a unique taste separates her, like she says here. It's good that she gets to create a style for herself, rather than always let the SM stylists choose for her... plus they sometimes screw it up anyways... :yucky:.

I hope Son Jungwan finds more success here in America, and that the other girls get their own chance to model as well. Thanks for the translation! It was a great read.

avatar: happymint@lj siggy: chef@ssf

Forever

nikkii4 nikkii4
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

looks like a child, but when you look again, it produces full of maturity, innocence, and has smoothing appeal, like Jessica

i think of the same way when i look at jessica too. if someone doesn't really know her that much, at first glance, she'd just look like a cute idol. but when you take a second glance and actually take note of her more, you'd realize that she's not your ordinary idol - much like the other snsd members. they all have their own unique personalities & characters. but sica's becoming more mature now. & it's apparent. glad she's made a style for her own. she really looked amazing on her first runway walk. <3 :)

Because endless change means youth.

love that last sentence. ^^
thank you very much for translating! :D

Edited by nikkii4, 29 March 2011 - 02:32 PM.

Posted Image

avatar© michiiri | banner© lynnryan

twitter

bekkiglittz bekkiglittz
  • Donors
  • 2954 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Thank you so much for translating this interview! I love Jessica's sense of style sfm♥

She looks beautiful in that first picture... I can't believe she's the same age as me /sobs. ;~; lol. IMO, Jessica is one of the most stylish members of SNSD. Some of her outfits she puts together are really inspiring, and I'm really glad for her that she finally has the opportunity to pursue something she really loves. It would be nice to see her doing more of it in the future^^ I do like the 'Endless Change' quote too. :]

dan4413jwfJUH dan4413jwfJUH
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1180 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

sica always had an amazing fashion sense!!! was totally wowed her appearance as a model yesterday.... and she is so sociable and friendly and charming too~~ totally inspiring....GORJESS Jess fighting!!! <3<3<3
Jes♥♥SicaPosted ImagePosted ImageThe Soshi Theory- So Nyuh Shi Dae+Sone=9+1 <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Posted Image

Sone6452 Sone6452
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Ooooh, so she was busy taking photos for Mr. Taxi! I can't wait for them to be released!! I've noticed this change in Jessica as well! I thought it was just me but good to see her wanting to do something different. She's always been like this though! Sica fighting! I hope she keeps it up!

I noticed it too. It was a little after 'Oh!' maybe 'RDR' When I noticed she really seemed to be changing, she seems... happier, I think. ^^
Ability is nothing without opportunity - Napoleon Bonaparte

enoS enoS
  • Donors
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Really appreciate the translation. Learn a bit more about Jessica. As mentioned by every fan, she looked great on the runway. But she looks absolutely stunning and gorgeous in that dress (the first picture), and that's more my cup of tea.

capsluck capsluck
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

I was avaricious wanting to get out of image as cute idol singer.

From the past and present we saw Jessica as an Ice princess, her cold expressions made people think she's too mature and too good for games and joking around. But underneath all of her physical outlook, she's innocent, cute and dorky. Through out the years we only saw that part of her.

On the other hand, there's something in Jessica that only Jessica can understand. She might not be the speaker of the group nor speaks her mind in shows. Like she said about Song Jungwan's theme collection

It was mysterious and complex feelings.

This defines Jessica as well. But it also goes to show that she blossomed like a sunflower seed. And flew like a dandelion after I read this article and saw her catwalk in Song Jungwan's clothes through Seoul Fashion Week. Amazingly stunning!

it produces full of maturity, innocence, and has smoothing appeal, like Jessica (laughs).

I'm SO stunned how she answered these question so maturely. And I thought "she's all grown up now. Her answers have matured. This is the REAL Jessica talking. Not the cute idol Jessica, only herself can pull of blonde hair ..." I was just in awed.. from the bottom of my heart as a her bias and spazzer and all of Gorjess spazzers out there, I felt like crying! To see this girl evolving into such a stunning loving WOMAN. At the end she will be our Power of Nine Girls' Generation, SICA!!

I LOVE the last sentence

Because endless change means youth.

Thank you for translating this amazing interview! Always appreciate the hardwork for the Int'l Fans Posted Image

Edited by capsluck, 29 March 2011 - 03:59 PM.

Posted Image

In order to succeed you must fail, so that you know what not to do the next time.

TWITTER

smurfette smurfette
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Wow! I like this interview. Thanks for translation. :unworthy: :unworthy: :unworthy:

Jessica always loves fashion and likes to chage her style. I like Jessica's style. :thumbsup:

Edited by smurfette, 29 March 2011 - 03:54 PM.

Posted Image
cr; as tagged, Jessture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  alice_ot12 (10:04:11 AM) what happened?
@  Keitaro88 (04:20:34 PM) hi :)
@  datlmhg (05:16:24 AM) good night
@  korniceman3000 (01:20:35 PM) (O.O) Singer Park Boram just died of cardiac arrest....https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/park-boram-k-pop-singer-songwriter-obituary-1235654493/
@  cinderella@y... (10:57:35 PM) finally someone stop the bot